I have been doing some more work recently. The gearbox is now mounted, I have aligned the rear sprocket with the gearbox sprocket, finished off the bracketry and sorted out the tachometer in the dash 🙂 Its taken me a long time to get to this stage, its very slow going. The gearbox has also been rebuilt internally, new o rings all round, new sealed bearings! Its probably still going to leak but I will try my best to keep the oil in it!
Also, there does not appear to be a SPA section belt in the length I need (525mm), which is slightly annoying. So I have ordered NuT link belting which should mean I can adjust the tesnsion realtively easy as my gearbox is fixed in place with the engine (I was going to go with a tensioner, but if I can avoid it, then good! 🙂
I have also started the paperwork crap that needs to happen with the DVLA.
A lovely day out was had at Tim’s in Somerset on Friday. He, very kindly, taught me how to use a lathe and helped me sort out the pulleys and the rear sprocket. It was thoroughly entertaining! Thanks again Tim!
The pulley going into the lathe:
The initial layer removed from the inside of the pulley, mainly for weight savings:
Swapped around now, and removing the main part of the pulley, where the clutch basket will sit:
After a lot more turning:
Drilled the holes and wacked the back plate of the clutch basket inside:
And with the basket in place:
All I need is the correct size bolts and all will be done for that!
Now time for the sprocket, it needed to fit over a 12cm wide sprocket hub:
After lots of turning (The rim and the center boss) and we drill the holes and mount it to the hub center:
All sorted, and today I did some test fitting of the engine and the gearbox with the pulley on it, Turns out, the engine needs to go forward another 2 inches! Argh, teaches me to weld and not measure things, after some cutting and re-welding I had extended the engine mount a further 2 inches:
I was worried about clearance with the front wheel (it looks closer than it is), so I compressed the front forks using wratchet straps and checked throughout the steering movement! All ok! 🙂
A view from the other side with the pulley on top of the crank, this is as far forward as I can get the engine:
Some close ups of the individual welds, I ran out out of gas halfway through and had to switch to flux cored wire (thats a lot more work! Grr):
I ended up re-doing a lot of these as I didnt have the power up high enough and the weld was just sitting on top of the frame 🙁