I have been doing some more work recently. The gearbox is now mounted, I have aligned the rear sprocket with the gearbox sprocket, finished off the bracketry and sorted out the tachometer in the dash 🙂 Its taken me a long time to get to this stage, its very slow going. The gearbox has also been rebuilt internally, new o rings all round, new sealed bearings! Its probably still going to leak but I will try my best to keep the oil in it!
Also, there does not appear to be a SPA section belt in the length I need (525mm), which is slightly annoying. So I have ordered NuT link belting which should mean I can adjust the tesnsion realtively easy as my gearbox is fixed in place with the engine (I was going to go with a tensioner, but if I can avoid it, then good! 🙂
I have also started the paperwork crap that needs to happen with the DVLA.
A lovely day out was had at Tim’s in Somerset on Friday. He, very kindly, taught me how to use a lathe and helped me sort out the pulleys and the rear sprocket. It was thoroughly entertaining! Thanks again Tim!
The pulley going into the lathe:
The initial layer removed from the inside of the pulley, mainly for weight savings:
Swapped around now, and removing the main part of the pulley, where the clutch basket will sit:
After a lot more turning:
Drilled the holes and wacked the back plate of the clutch basket inside:
And with the basket in place:
All I need is the correct size bolts and all will be done for that!
Now time for the sprocket, it needed to fit over a 12cm wide sprocket hub:
After lots of turning (The rim and the center boss) and we drill the holes and mount it to the hub center:
All sorted, and today I did some test fitting of the engine and the gearbox with the pulley on it, Turns out, the engine needs to go forward another 2 inches! Argh, teaches me to weld and not measure things, after some cutting and re-welding I had extended the engine mount a further 2 inches:
I was worried about clearance with the front wheel (it looks closer than it is), so I compressed the front forks using wratchet straps and checked throughout the steering movement! All ok! 🙂
A view from the other side with the pulley on top of the crank, this is as far forward as I can get the engine:
Some close ups of the individual welds, I ran out out of gas halfway through and had to switch to flux cored wire (thats a lot more work! Grr):
I ended up re-doing a lot of these as I didnt have the power up high enough and the weld was just sitting on top of the frame 🙁
Lots of hard work going on recently. This is the slow bit, welding and metal working bit of the build.
The frame has been extended on the flywheel side of things, as much as the engine needs at least. The new downtube has been fitted, the plate the engine will sit has also been welded into place.
Its taken about 6 hours to get the frame modded to this state and I still have to:
Swap the brake pivot to the left hand side (As the gear lever will be on the right)
Fabricate and make up a gearbox mount (wont happen until the pulley machining is completed, which is being done on Friday)
Slotted holes for the engine to bolt throught (to allow for pulley tension etc)
and lots of other things I have forgotten about no doubt.
Some pictures (no comments on my welds! First time im geting used to a mig welder 🙂 ) :